Life can be full of difficult but necessary choices. Attorney Corey Flowers understands that when he represents clients who need a family law attorney, he is often helping people through the most trying time of their lives. Whether going through dissolution/divorce, child custody, or support modifications, the attorneys at the Flowers Law Firm can help.

Attorney Corey Flowers has appeared in both Cuyahoga and Summit County domestic relations courts. As such, the Flowers Law Firm is well positions to help you address your current family-related issues, while also helping you prepare for a future that may be different from you current situation.

Contact the Flowers Law Firm today for your free consultation.


What is the difference between a divorce and dissolution?

In Ohio, dissolution is when both parties agree to terminate their marriage. If you are considering filing for dissolution, keep in mind that both parties must reach an agreement on all issues including: (1) division of assets; (2) division of debts; (3) child custody; (4) visitation; and (5) spousal support. The parties must memorialize this agreement in writing. While there are forms available online (like here, or if you are in Summit County, here, or if you are in Cuyahoga County, here), in most cases it is best to have a family law attorney draft the dissolution documents. Once the dissolution paperwork is filed with the court, a hearing must be held within 30-90 days, which both parties must attend.

In contrast to dissolution, in order to obtain a divorce, one spouse must allege that the other spouse is at “fault” as defined here in the Ohio Revised Code. In Ohio, the only true “No Fault” grounds are when the spouses are living separate and apart for one year, without cohabitation, and neither party denies that they are no longer compatible. When filing for divorce, the parties may request that the court: (1) order temporary support; (2) order payment of debts; and (3) address parenting time to keep the status quo until the case has been resolved. Once the “complaint” for divorce has been filed, the parties can conduct “discovery” into each party's assets, liabilities, earning capacity, etc. As a result, many hearings may take place, depositions may be had, and unexpected issues could arise.

If the parties cannot agree on the terms of the divorce, separation agreement and, if necessary, a parenting plan, there will be a trial, which will be tried to a Judge or Magistrate, as there is not right to a jury trial in divorce proceedings.

Can I change or modify my child custody agreement (shared parenting plan)?

As with most legal questions, the answer is “it depends.” In Ohio we must look to the Ohio Revised Code sections dealing with child custody (found here and here). Specifically, the party seeking the modification must show: (1) Change in circumstances since the prior decree or order, and (2) Whether a modification is in the best interest of the child.

No information that you obtain from this web site is legal advice, nor is it intended to be. You should consult an attorney for individualized advice regarding your own unique situation.No attorney-client relationship is formed between The Flowers Law Firm or Attorney Corey Flowers and you by viewing this web site.